Here’s a question I’ve been pondering for years, even decades.
How might one combine interests in the following?
- Creative repurposing of material and social resources; making things, building, doing stuff with tools.
- Creative/productive use of leftover, neglected urban spaces, a.k.a. generativities.
- Landscape, agricultural, and local heritages.
- Food, particularly artisan food.
- Community activism, cohesion & participation.
- Regeneration schemes and issues.
- Social sector research.
- Web communications technology, i.e. social media, and graphical representations, e.g. maps.
- Free neighbourhood social events.
- A living wage, support in kind, or other means of sustenance.
Is there any one activity that combines all of these? If there is, I haven’t found it yet, especially anything including that last listed item. But the lack of outright success hasn’t stopped me from searching. Why let a thing like a poor material quality of life stop me from doing what I want to do? Particularly when peace of mind is usually more important than material comfort.
Someday, maybe when the recession’s over, there’ll be a job, some paid work, a means of material self support, and this won’t be an issue any longer. In the meantime, I make bits of progress, managing to get by on scraps, luck, stupidity and stubbornness.
With a bit more luck, something will show up as a result of the thinking and writing; something that helps identify and clarify possibilities, links and resources; sets out a rough guide; serves as a distillation and point of reference. In turn, it becomes worthwhile to produce a series of posts relating to the above, in the Bag category, and using the Careering tag plus relevant others.
The first set of posts should probably be about each of the items above, in turn. Perhaps the series of posts helps to seed other sorts of writing, or at least provides an outline and a bit of history/context.
On with it, then.